We have been providing Automotive Services to Epperstone and the Nottinghamshire District since 1924.
In 1923 Frederick Knowles started a Garage Business where he carried out Motor Vehicle and Agricultural Machinery repairs, along with retailing Petroleum Spirit which was initially delivered from Colwick by horse drawn tank.
In those days it was stored in a shed in two gallon cans and poured by funnel into customers’ cars at an approximate cost of 11d. per gallon.
Modernisation took place in 1924 with the installation of a hand operated pump fitted to the wall of the family home.
New premises were built in 1934. Six new pumps were added and the business was expanded further by the acquisition of Agricultural Contracts in the area.
During World War 2 the War Office confiscated four of the pumps along with the Agricultural Equipment for their own use.
Frederick Knowles died in 1946 leaving Mabel Knowles and five young children. Mrs. Knowles continued to operate the business as a Filling Station until the late 1950’s until one by one, all five of the family members became Company Directors at which point the Service Department of the business was expanded.
A Triumph franchise was opened in 1965 followed by Rover and Austin in 1974, and then Morris and MG in 1977.
Mrs. Knowles died in 1978 leaving her two daughters and three sons to carry on the family tradition of giving a personal service at the same high standard set by Mr. Knowles Snr. in 1923.
John Knowles and Mavis Knowles retired in 1984. Richard Knowles retired in 1994.
Sam Knowles retired in 1999, leaving Jane Knowles to continue the family legacy along with her new business partner and daughter Catherine.
To this day they proudly continue Mr Fredrick Knowles legacy along with offering the same personal service and traditional values first instilled nearly a century ago.